Callaloo, Tomato and Chickpea Curry
Courtesy of our Friends at Best Life, here’s this month’s healthy recipe
· 2 cans of organic chickpeas, drained
· 1 can organic coconut milk
· ¼ cup of coconut oil
· 1 large white onion diced
· 1 tablespoon of whole cumin seeds
· 1 can of organic fire roasted/diced tomatoes
· 1 bunch of callaloo, roughly chopped
· 1 tablespoon of fresh, finely chopped ginger
· 1 tablespoon of finely chopped seasoning peppers
· 1 finely chopped scotch bonnet pepper (optional for a spicy dish)
· 1 bunch of local green onion/scallion chopped
· Salt and pepper to taste
· 1-2 teaspoons of garam masala or curry powder
Heat oil over medium high heat for about 5 minutes until quite hot. Drop one seed of cumin to test if it sizzles; if it does, the oil is hot enough. Add the rest of the cumin and cook for 30 seconds. Add onions and lower temperature to medium, cooking until the onions are translucent, about 10 minutes. Add curry/masala powder and mix in thoroughly. Add tomatoes, fresh ginger, seasoning pepper and scotch bonnet pepper, cooking for another 10 minutes or until the oil tomatoes are nicely cooked and the oil starts to pool slightly at the top of the pot.
Add chickpeas, callaloo, green onion and coconut milk, cooking for a further 5 – 10 minutes until the greens are wilted.
Turn off heat and let sit for about 5 minutes checking for salt and pepper to taste. Serve with naan or pita bread and brown rice or quinoa.