What is Craniosacral Therapy?
- Craniosacral Therapy is an incredibly effective treatment of choice in areas of pain, rehabilitation and neurology. Also called CST, or cranial osteopathy, it is a gentle, non-invasive, hands-on technique that releases tensions deep in the body to relieve pain and dysfunction and improve whole-body health and performance.
How does Craniosacral Therapy Work?
- Few structures have as much influence over the body's ability to function properly as the brain and spinal cord that make up the central nervous system. The central nervous system is heavily influenced by the craniosacral system comprised of the membranes and fluid that surround, protect and nourish the brain and spinal cord.
- Every day your body endures stresses and strains that it must work to compensate for. Unfortunately, these changes often cause body tissues to tighten and distort the craniosacral system. These distortions can then cause tension to form around the brain and spinal cord resulting in restrictions. This can create a barrier to the healthy performance of the central nervous system, and potentially every other system it interacts with.
- Fortunately, such restrictions can be detected and corrected using simple methods of touch. With a light touch, the CST practitioner uses his or her hands to evaluate the craniosacral system by gently feeling various locations of the body to test for the ease of motion and rhythm of the cerebrospinal fluid pulsing around the brain and spinal cord. Soft-touch techniques are then used to release restrictions in any tissues influencing the craniosacral system.
- By normalizing the environment around the brain and spinal cord and enhancing the body's ability to self-correct, Craniosacral Therapy is able to alleviate a wide variety of dysfunctions, from chronic pain and sports injuries to stroke and neurological impairment.
A treatment works in the following ways:
• Helps restore normal cranial mobility;
• Releases abnormal myofascial restrictions and tensions in the body;
• Releases abnormal restrictions in the head;
• Eases restrictions of nerves;
• Optimizes cerebrospinal fluid movement through the central nervous system; and
• Helps restore misaligned bones to their proper positions (assisting troubles associated with the head, back, neck, hips, shoulders, arms, hands, knees and feet).
What conditions does Craniosacral Therapy address?
Craniosacral Therapy is beneficial for all ages from new born babies to the elderly, and helps the following conditions;
• Concussion and Traumatic Brain Injury
• Migraines and Headaches
• Chronic Neck and Back Pain
• Birth traumas and other perinatal challenges;
• Infant latching and feeding difficulties;
• Recurrent ear infections;
• Stress and Tension-Related Disorders
• Motor-Coordination Impairments
• Brain and Spinal Cord Injuries
• Chronic Fatigue
• TMJ syndrome
• Central Nervous System Disorders
• Learning Disabilities
• Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
• Orthopaedic Problems